JDK Fitness understands that it is absolutely essential that anyone working in close proximity with children has a secure understanding of safeguarding and understands the role they play in protecting children. Safeguarding children is everyone’s responsibility.
What is Safeguarding?
Safeguarding refers to the process of protecting children (and adults) to provide safe and effective care. This includes all procedures designed to prevent harm to a child.
What is Child Protection?
Child Protection is part of the safeguarding process, protecting individual children identified as suffering or likely to suffer significant harm. This includes the child protection procedures which detail how to respond to concerns about a child.
- Children and young people have a right to enjoy sport, free from all forms of abuse, exploitation and poor practice.
- All children and young people have equal rights to protection from harm.
- All children and young people should be encouraged to fulfil their potential, and inequalities should be challenged.
- Everybody has a responsibility to support the care and protection of children.
- Sporting organisations have a duty of care to children and young people who take part in sport.
Roles and Responsibilities
We all have a role to play in ensuring the well-being and safety of children, young people, their families and each other. It is NOT the responsibility of the JDK Fitness staff to make judgements about whether what a child says is true or not. Our team will pass on any concerns they may have to the schools Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL).
As part of our safeguarding policy JDK Fitness will:
- Promote and prioritise the safety and wellbeing of children and young people.
- Ensure every JDK Fitness Instructor understands their role and responsibilities in respect of safeguarding and is provided with appropriate education/training to recognise, identify and respond to signs of abuse and other safeguarding concerns relating to children and young people.
- Ensure that concerns are detailed and recorded accurately and then passed on to the schools DSL.
- Ensure robust safeguarding arrangements and the schools procedures are followed by all coaches.
What does that mean for JDK Fitness staff?
- Always ensure we know who the DSL is in each school we coach in.
- Understand and follow each school’s Safeguarding procedure and policy.
- We will give equal priority to keeping all children and young people safe regardless of their age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation when participating in a JDK Fitness session.
- We will listen to all children, respecting them and ensure they feel comfortable sharing any concerns with a member of the JDK Fitness team.
- Take all suspicions, concerns or allegations of harm seriously and report them swiftly to the DSL.
- Always follow safeguarding procedures.
Jessica Lockhart is JDK Fitness’ Designated Safeguarding Lead and can be contacted via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further support or advice regarding safeguarding can be found below:
nspcc.org.uk or telephone 0808 800 5000
https://www.childline.org.uk/ or telephone 0800 1111
This policy was ratified on 1st January 2021.